The installer that comes with MotS is not needed (and can't be used on a 64-bit system). Just follow the steps below.
- Create a folder to place the game files. The default with the installer is C:\Program Files\LucasArts\Mysteries of the Sith. (On some Windows, Program Files might be replaced with Program Files (x86).)
- Copy both files from the gamedata\exe folder to the folder created in step 1.
- Copy the controls, episode, and resource folders (in gamedata folder) to the folder created in step 1.
- Copy the gamedata\mininstall\jkmsndlo.goo file to the resource folder created in step 3.
- Verify that all the files copied from CD do not have the Read-only attribute set. To verify: select all the files in each folder, right-click on them, select Properties, and make sure the Read-only checkbox is clear (i.e. white with no checkmark). (If you have any files that are read-only, then you will get the ERR_CANNOT_LOAD_FILE error window.)
- If your computer is having trouble displaying the game with 3D Acceleration enabled, then download the 3D Acceleration Fix and extract the ddraw.dll to the folder created in step 1. Be sure that the "Enable 3D Acceleration" option in JK's Setup>Display screen is selected.
Now, you can run jkm.exe directly, or setup a shortcut that can be placed on the Start menu or a taskbar toolbar.
NOTE: Any registry settings needed by MotS are created when MotS is run, except for the lobby launching registry settings.
To make managing levels and mods (and finding multiplayer games online) easier, check out JKLauncher.